Phew!

It has been a busy time recently so little or no time to blog. Since the Festival of Quilts there has been little or no time to catch my breath. Firstly there was the month long and hugely successful exhibition at Hilliers Arboretum (which never got a look in on this blog) to man and then wind up. I am hugely grateful to Zeronine textile artists for allowing me to be a part of it. This kind of blurred into Hampshire Open Studios at the Granary with Room 6 which again was very successful and hugely enjoyable ( again no posts, sadly). I did some demonstating and this is the results of some of my labours.

IMG_1255

Then after a quick holiday to Portugal it was straight off to the Big Textile Show in Leicester. Great to see a lot of familiar faces and put names to faces of people I have only met on the internet.

Then yesterday was the hanging of Romsey Abbey. It was with some trepidation that I saw my piece ‘Metamorphosis’ being hoisted. Because of its length it has been difficult to visualise how it would look. I have been somewhat ambivalent about its new hue particularly as it was not what I had originally intended. However it needed to metamorphose to earn its title and whats done is done and this is now what it looks like.

 

IMG_1425

I also have an installation of my wax pots which were part of my Common Thread body of work which have never had a proper airing.

FullSizeRender (2)

Obviously being the Abbey, the light is not going to be brilliant – it is what it is and a fabulous space in which to exhibit.

Some of the other work from my collegues is truly amazing, with their permission I am hoping to share some of it here at a later date.

Its the Knitting and Stitching Show next week. I am back on the stand this year, no exhibitions although Alison Hulme will still be with me. The stand number is TGB13 so if you want a pinny, a scarf, some fabric or just a chat please come and say hello. Alison is demonstrating for ArtVanGo as well so you might find her there.

 

Advertisements

A dyeing day

I have been waiting for a dry and sunny day to dye my banners for the exhibition in Romsey Abbey. I have been working on these on and off for the past six months so it was going to be a bit of a leap of faith. The original intention was to dye them red with madder but as the work progressed, I was aware that because I had included a lot of iron mordanted fabric, red was probably unachievable. I have done loads of samples but each one turned out differently so I had only an inkling of what I might end up with.

i also harvested my tansy crop, I have wasted to many of my dye crops this year.

image

image

I estimated that about 500g of dried madder root would do the trick. The brew looked promising…..

image

image

As expected when I put in the banners, colour shifts started almost immediately.

image

I made a secondary pot with the roots- waste not want not. Much more the colour I originally envisaged.

image

After several hours simmering banners have come out a pale aubergine

image

Not sure how I feel about them yet.