Progress

I have now cut up all the stitched pieces of cloth and reassembled them in a 3 metre long strip. Unsure where this is going. Am thinking I need a collection of strips but it is not practical that they all have the same level of intensive stitching. Am also aware of the need for whatever I do at the moment needs to be double sided.

IMG_0180

IMG_0178-0


A Complete Fugitive

Last night I finally managed to crack open my jar of fabric with honesty flowers in. The lid had stuck fast and all occupant to the house and several visitors had failed to get it off. The contents looked promising…

P1020520

 
Said jar is on the far right and when the fabric came out it was a lovely shade of lavender. However when dry it was clear the colour was completely fugitive. I had expected this but felt I ought to try. Since for me colour is not a priority I will be happy with fifty shades of grey and will work with what I get
IMG_0240

 

Meanwhile another cloth in a  ‘before’ picture about to be completely transformed. While I really like it as it is it does rather look like a lot of other work around

IMG_0241


High Summer on the Common

Took a walk n the Common today without my faithful friend. Since he has become epileptic I find that he needs my full attention, so I reserve my walks with him merely for observation and a little light gathering. It is a very hot sultry day and I could hear the hum of the insects
P1020719

 

One of my aims was to fine some suitable flora to refill some of my now empty jars. The above is a potential candidate. I also gathered some dock seeds and some blackberries.
They are now all sitting in jars of water. I am going to see what happens to the water before filling them with fabric. I suspect I need more of all.

P1020734

P1020741

P1020742

P1020728

Lots of flowers in bloom still to be spotted
However it is clear that seed and berry season will soon be upon us.

P1020732

P1020744

Another aim was to take some of my finished cloths and photograph them in situ as it were
P1020736

P1020724


A Reveal

I returned from my holiday and checked on the jars that have been stewing gently on my conservatory windowsill. Since it has been very hot I decided that it was unlikely they would go any further – the liquid in the jars were all clear. I also want to try some more plants etc and there is a limit to the number of jars I have

.P1020520

As is soften the case with natural dyes some of the promise of depth of colour was lost when they were opened

P1020690
This one is oak bark on alum mordanted cotton. It was originally very much like the birch bark from my previous experiments so I added some rusty nails. It has come out a pale mottled grey with some quite lovely marks including some tannish areas
P1020693
This is the willow leaf and twig cloth I chucked in some copper staples which has definitely had some interesting effects
P1020698

This one is the Forsythia mordanted with alum. This has come out a yellowy green – I was expecting more green than I achieved
P1020701
This one is the cherry bark I was hoping for more pinkish tones but the mistake is mine. I added some vinegar when I should have added some alkali. I am going to repeat this experiment. I am still pleased with the results
Lastly and most interestingly I froze some elderberries last year. I kind of expected purplish colours and in the jar the fabric appeared black. I was surprised therefore with this result.
P1020699
a beautiful shade of teal. I am well aware of the notorious fugitive reputation that elderberries have. I am interested to see whether the act of freezing has any effect on this. I am going to have another go with this years elderberries too without freezing.
I am working very much on the principle of the need to work with nature and not try to influence it too much. I am going to use what I achieve with no preconceptions and let it inform me of the next step. Thus if the fabric fades so be it I shall still use it.
I still have 2 jars of St Johns Wort, one jar of honesty flowers and a jar of birch bark which has yet to exhaust.
In the meantime I need to start thinking about how I am to work with my fabricsP1020709


St Johns Wort

20140624-165131-60691234.jpg

I was delighted to find some St Johns Wort on the Common yesterday. It is a magical dye for wool and one can achieve a succession of different colours on wool from the flowers. However since I could only gather a small quantity and I am working on cotton I decided to bottle it and add to my collection. I am hoping for a mustardy yellow.

20140624-165650-61010219.jpg

If I have time and I can gather sufficient flowers I am going to try and experiment with some wool.


Prints on Fabric

Along with the paper, I have been busy printing on fabric, since the first leaves of the season give quite distinct results to those gathered later on in the year. All the leaves were gathered from the Common.

Image

The most interesting prints achieved so far are from the willow. The photo does not do it justice.

Image

 

 


Paper Prints

I have been doing a lot of printing on paper. I am looking for new possibilities for collage on muslin. This selection is on cheap watercolour paper. I am always intrigued by the differing results gained by different papers. More results in another post

Image

Image

Image

Image

ImageImage

Image