St Johns Wort #2

Now that I was looking, I found some more St Johns Wort on the Common. I decided therefore to experiment with wool. The process of extracting different colours only works with the flower heads and I was able to gather enough for my purpose.

20140628-075349-28429212.jpg

The idea is to boil the flowers until a deep wine colour is achieved

20140628-075526-28526340.jpg
So far so good. The first colour to come out is supposed to be green, the wool needs to be mordanted with alum.

20140628-075815-28695242.jpg
The result I got is the fabric at the top not green at all. The second colour is supposed to be a rich burgundy. I should say that my picture is a bit washed out so I ended up with not a bad approximation. I then went off piste a bit a put in some alum mordanted khadi cotton ( no 3 from the top) I was expecting it to come out yellow as with my bottled experiment but it came out a tan/rust. The fourth fabric was left in the pot overnight supposedly to mop up all the remaining red dye. Lastly another alum mordanted wool which was supposed to come out a bright gold. I would say mine was more of a butter yellow.
Not entirely a success. However natural dyeing is like that and I did like the colours achieved. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had better results. I may also have another go maybe with larger pieces of fabric.

Advertisements

St Johns Wort

20140624-165131-60691234.jpg

I was delighted to find some St Johns Wort on the Common yesterday. It is a magical dye for wool and one can achieve a succession of different colours on wool from the flowers. However since I could only gather a small quantity and I am working on cotton I decided to bottle it and add to my collection. I am hoping for a mustardy yellow.

20140624-165650-61010219.jpg

If I have time and I can gather sufficient flowers I am going to try and experiment with some wool.